Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Bridge: An Attempt to Figure Out the Purpose of One's Actions (online edition)

Why do I read? Why do I write? Why do I "link"? To learn, interpret and share, I guess. To help people understand the stuff I like, and by extension, me. Why is that important to me? Is it a cry for attention? Is it a gesture of good will? Or some sort of indescribable compulsion?

I like to think I'm a Good Online Person, and as a GOPer (I may need to rethink that acronym), I strive to avoid adding to the shitpile of negativity and ignorance that comprises 78% of all Internet traffic. I like to point out writers and subjects and articles and things that are fun, interesting, maybe nostalgic, usually nerdy, always cool.

I really don't care about pageviews or "traffic" (well, not too much). I'm happy if one person sees a ZCB blog or Facebook post, or a tweet, and grins a little. And if everyone misses it, eh, there's a lot more where that came from.

This blog started as a simple diary about my attempts to sell a bunch of comics. It then started sprouting new offshoots on a variety of subjects that interested me. And then it got to be too much - too many things interest me, and there were too many Real Life distractions to write about it, and I never got any traction or momentum. After the initial series of posts, I kinda lost my purpose for Zombie Cat Bacon.

Today, as I'm listening to Ta-Nehisi Coates being interviewed by Chris Hayes, a thought occurred to me. Something Ta-Nehisi said got me thinking about ZCB. As I'm writing this, I can't even remember the specifics. But he spoke of the energy he had to share. Suddenly, I had an image of a metaphorical bridge in my head. The idea that my reading/writing/sharing had something to do with a desire to have people do more than grin. I wanted them to remember and understand. I wanted to "bridge" the space between us.



We forget our history, every day. Hayes said every day is like Momento. I laughed and realized he's right. The news cycle and the news feed and the present are all never-ending, looping constantly and eradicating every prior moment. (Did you know there was an Olympics this year? I forgot about that. It just nine months ago. And I love sports. This blog was started during the LAST one.)

For 2019, I'm going to try to build my own bridge, and connect with time again, and with the timeline I share with you. I'm going to do that by writing. I can guarantee there will gibberish. But, for me, this will be a chance to pause and stop and rest, and when I write, I can do that.

So, soon, I'll start. There will still be comics and booze and sports and food and t-shirts and TV and games and books and other potentially grin-inducing content. Haven't quite fleshed out the format, or even if I'll stay here on Blogger. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it and I welcome you along for the ride during our all-too-brief time together.

2 comments:

  1. That you have come to this juncture at this time - and in these times - is indicative, I think, of a need to be anchored in a reality of your own making. It's a good thing to stop and regroup. Brain muscles stretched and flexed; nerves straightened and calmed. It is a rejection of too much senseless 'incoming flak' taking up your time and energy.
    The difficult part will be the editing - especially when one's interests are varied and roam all over the spectrum. Cull too rashly and there's that fear of 'missing something significant/cool/funny.' But there will be decisions to make. Creating filters is rather relaxing busy work - but applying them and sticking to them is another thing entirely. It will be interesting to watch you go over that bridge. What will grab your attention? Where will you focus? I'm curious and will be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't believe the massive backlog of essays and listicles and goofy crap I've saved over the past coupla years (maybe you would). Think of the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's where I'm going to start. Just gotta sort out the inventory...

    ReplyDelete